I hope you’re all having a wonderful day! I spent my afternoon in the kitchen testing out a recipe for a new dog treat for Charlie.
It’s almost her 8th birthday! I can hardly believe it. My sweet old gal has started to develop some problems with her hips as she’s gotten older, as most labs do. The vet suggested we feed her more Omega 3 in her diet to help with her hips and joints. So instead of buying a supplement or pill, we have been feeding her Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts! With 10 grams of Omega 3 & 6 in every serving, it’s the perfect way for my furbaby to get the essential nutrients she needs!
Her hips have definitely started to improve and she’s able to get around like she used too. Our farm adventures are back in full swing!
This simple recipe is easy to follow and sure to leave you with one happy dog!
Hemp Heart & Coconut Dog Treats
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup egg whites (optional based on dietary restriction. If you don’t add egg, use extra coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup of Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Add all ingredients into large mixing bowl and combine
- Wet your hands and form dough into a ball and place in fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dust your countertop with coconut flour and roll our dough to be 1/4 inch thick (Tip: use water to wet your hands and rolling pin to make rolling easier)
- Cut the dough with your cookie cutter and place treat on to a greased cookie sheet
- Place cookie sheet into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until treats are hard
- Cool and serve
Makes approx. 16 treats (depending on your cookie cutter)
Try them out and let me know what you thing! Or should I say, what your dog thinks of them! Charlie definitely approves!